A Mariña Lucense, in the north of the province of Lugo, on the shores of the Cantabrian Sea, is one of the most versatile, unexplored and surprising places in Galicia. Its coast and interior and a mild climate make it a destination to which you can travel calmly through historic towns, paradisiacal beaches and surprising landscapes nestled in the north of the peninsula. A diverse and authentic territory to visit at any time of the year, with hospitable people, who stand out for their natural and cultural heritage, rich and varied gastronomy and tranquility.
In Galicia, when the power of the sea and the patience of time come together, the result is a work of art... As Catedrais beach, a natural monument with a supernatural dimension. You just have to wait for low tide, take off your shoes, start walking... and you already feel in glory.
Nothing like enjoying the view of the 30 m high flying buttresses, discovering unusual perspectives of arches within other arches. Or simply, let yourself be carried away through the corridors of sand between slate walls, as in an imposing and capricious central nave. And always, feet in the sand and head in the sky. We are in the cathedral of the sea.
The sea has sculpted an entire architectural repertoire of arches, columns and vaults on the cliffs that led to the tourist baptizing of the space between the Augasantas and Carricelas sandbanks as Praia das Catedrais.
The streets of the old town of Ribadeo were declared in 2004 a Site of Cultural Interest with the category of Historic Complex. They bring together a mixture of varied architectural styles according to the origin and functionality of the buildings: popular houses of artisans and sailors, Indian houses...
A small city of medieval origin, Viveiro has valuable examples of both civil and religious architecture that make up a rich and varied heritage: the remains of the wall, the Valdeflores monastery, the union streets, houses with balconies and glass galleries, or the Plaza of Santa María Historic-Artistic Complex.
Spectacular path along the coast of O Vicedo that alternates small beaches with the rocky coast of cliffs and sea caves. Through wooden walkways and paths, we look out over the Cantabrian Sea from natural viewpoints with wonderful views over the Ría de Viveiro.
At Punta Morás we find granite rock formations of extraordinary beauty. They have a height of about 40 m, sculpted by the action of the wind, and the force of the sea over the centuries. Its name comes from its appearance, forming folds, folds, capricious and unique shapes.
The natural environment of A Mariña Lucense presents a surprising richness and variety: coasts with cliffs and beaches, estuaries and estuaries, mountains, valleys, rivers... For this reason, in A Mariña Lucense, 17 Protected Natural Areas have been declared in various types: ZEC (Special Conservation Areas), ZEPA (Special Protection Areas for birds), Natural Monument, RAMSAR Wetland of International Importance and Biosphere Reserve.
It is considered the oldest cathedral in Spain. It seems to have pre-Romanesque origin, due to signs of the existence of an old monastery that would precede the one we can visit today: a construction from the end of the 11th century, from the Romanesque period, with large buttresses added in the 18th century.
The Monastery of San Salvador de Lourenzá was founded in the 19th century by Don Osorio Gutiérrez, the Holy Count. There are hardly any traces of Romanesque or Gothic art left in the building, but the Baroque shines in all its splendor. It was declared a Historic-Artistic Site in 1974.
The history of ceramic pieces from Sargadelos dates back to the beginning of the 19th century, specifically to 1806, when Antonio Raimundo Ibáñez opened a pottery factory in Sargadelos, a parish in our neighboring municipality of Cervo.
Since the factory was put into operation, this ceramic characteristic was linked to the history of industrialization and crafts in Galicia. The fame of this pottery was forged by its quality, which derives largely from the kaolin deposits in the area, with ideal qualities for the production of earthenware.
It is currently the most recognized Galician pottery house both inside and outside our borders.
Documentation from the 12th century describes the place of Canedo (parish of Santo Tomé, municipality of Lourenzá) as a walled town with a tower, the Torre de Canedo. It is the origin of the current Fortress or Pazo de Tovar, declared a Site of Cultural Interest in 1949. Inside we find the Interpretation Center of the Culture of the Pazos de Galicia.
What remains of the ovens is the vestige of the industrial past and the mining potential of A Pontenova. They were engaged in the processing of iron ore. The period of greatest splendor came in 1900 with the creation of the "Vilaoudriz Mining Society" by Julio Lazúrtegui. Its five chimneys are trunk-shaped with a height of 11 meters and a width of 4 meters.
Mallets and blacksmiths have always had great importance in the Riotorto town hall. It was thanks to hydraulic power that the iron working process was widely developed in the region. The first historical reference to iron crafts in Riotorto dates back to the 16th century and comes from the documentation of the Vilanova de Lourenzá convent.